FamilySearch.org offers many ways to discover ancestors. Below is a list of the email campaigns and discovery activities that FamilySearch has created to help users discover interesting facts about ancestors, including their occupations, obituaries, headstones, and how much we look like our ancestors. Many of these activities are perfect for youth activities or for helping children become acquainted with ancestors for the first time.
How does it work? If you have an account with FamilySearch and have added your parents, grandparent, and linked in to ancestors in the collaborative family tree, then you will be able to make discoveries with the campaigns below. When you log in to the campaign page, FamilySearch scans your ancestors to find out if any were pioneers, or early Relief Society members, etc. I wanted to put the links to these campaigns in one place, so I thought I would share them in a blog post.
1. Occupations – Your ancestors may have been Seamstresses. Coal Miners. Carpenters. Discover their occupations from the U.S. 1880 and England & Wales 1881 Census Records.
2. Relative Headstones – View Your Relatives’ Headstones. Sign in to see which relative headstones we’ve found.
3. Obituaries – Discover Your Ancestors in Obituaries. Sign in to see which obituaries we’ve found.
4. War of 1812 Pensions – Your Relative Fought in the War of 1812
5. Pioneers – Discover Your Pioneer Ancestors – Read inspiring new stories about the women and men who left a legacy of faith and sacrifice.
6. Relief Society – Discover Your Early Relief Society Ancestors- Learn the inspiring stories of the women and men who helped grow the Relief Society.
7. Early Mormon Missionary – We’re All Part of a Great Missionary Heritage. View your ancestors’ missionary journals, call letters, and stories.
8. Identify Ancestors by their photo – Keep the memory of your ancestors alive. Sign in, and refresh your memory. This is a game to see if you can correctly identify your relative in the photo.
9. Recipes – Savor Your Family’s Story. Gather your Tasty Traditions. Preserve an important part of your heritage by sharing recipes, photos, or memories of your family’s favorite foods and the stories behind them.
10. Family Tree Keepsake – Create Your Family Tree Keepsake – View and share your family tree in a fun way with a printable family keepsake you’ll cherish.
11. Calendar – view important events in the lives of your ancestors
12. Compare-a-Face – Ever wonder where you got your good looks? See which ancestors you look the most like. To get started, upload a photo of yourself.
Bonus (Updated 6 September 2018)
13. Nauvoo – Your Relative Heeded the Call of the Prophet to Come to Nauvoo