DNA Day is coming up on Sunday, 25 April 2021. This day celebrates the anniversary of the Human Genome Project completion and the day the journal article was published by Watson and Crick that described the structure of DNA.
Find a list of some fun and educational activities and resources to learn more about DNA on the CDC Genomics and Precision Health web page
The National Human Genome Research Institute has another list of activities.
Find more activities to celebrate DNA Day: https://www.genome.gov/dna-day/celebrate
Some of my favorite learning activities from the list are:
Learn more about basic genetics from Learn.Genetics Genetic Science Learning Center at the University of Utah where you can find fantastic videos that explain more about the following:
Here is a map of locations where DNA Day events take place. Some have already occurred, but others are still available in person or online.
National Human Genome Research Institute (https://www.genome.gov/dna-day/events : accessed 22 April 2021).
DNA Kit Sales
- Family Finder – Family ancestry, autosomal DNA test is $49 (normally $79).
- Y-DNA test (Paternal ancestry – only males can take this test, women can ask a male relative to test).
- Y-37 $99 USD Save $20 (was $119) Examines 37 short tandem repeats (STRs) on the Y chromosome.
- Y-111 $199 USD Save $50 (was $249) Examines 111 short tandem repeats (STRs) on the Y chromosome.
- Big Y-700 $379 Save $70 (was $449) Examines 700 short tandem repeats and over 200K SNPs on the Y chromosome.
- mtDNA $139 Save $20 (was $159).
Autosomal DNA $59, free shipping on two or more kits
- Buy one, get 20% off each additional kit.
- The first Ancestry (autosomal DNA) + Traits kit is $99, additional kits are $79.20.
- The first Health + Ancestry kit is $199, and additional kits are $159.20.
DNA Day Sale: Up to 30% off & FREE shipping on 3+ kits $69 for Ancestry (autosomal DNA), $79 for Wellbeing Kit, $99 for Wellbeing and ancestry kit
$99, additional kits are $89 each
If you miss this sale, there are typically sales for Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, and Black Friday. 23andMe frequently has sales on DNA kits on Amazon Prime Day (www.amazon.com)
Remember that you can take an autosomal DNA test at any company and transfer the results to Family Tree DNA, MyHeritage, and Living DNA. (AncestryDNA and 23andMe do not accept raw DNA data transfers.) To learn more about a DNA testing strategy, read my blog post DNA-Recommended Testing Strategy .
To learn more about using DNA in your family history research, see our new book, Research Like a Pro with DNA, Kindle version. The print version will be published soon!
We are excited to have you join us on the journey to Research Like a Pro with DNA!