RLP 1: Introduction
We are so excited to share our brand new podcast with you. We will be discussing the Research Like a Pro method and how to take your genealogy research to the next level. Learn about research objectives, analysis, locality research, research planning, source citations, report writing, case studies, and more.
Diana and I talk about our background in family history and give an overview of the Research Like a Pro process. Diana got started in genealogy research when her father gave her a suitcase full of family history papers. Diana shares her journey in accreditation and tells about how she came up with the Research Like a Pro process, which resulted in a series of blog posts, a study group, book, and eCourse.
The steps for researching like a pro each correspond to a chapter in the book: Create an objective, analyze sources, locality research, research planning, source citations, research logs, and report writing. I tell about my first time trying the RLP method with my Isenhour Brothers project. We discuss the ideal project size when trying the RLP method for the first time.
The Research Like a Pro process is for everyone – not just those who want to become professionals. I share part of Nancy Brown’s foreword in Research Like a Pro about how using this method helps you feel that you can finish a specific project, even though family history work may never be fully “done.”
- Purchase our book: Research Like a Pro: A Genealogist’s Guide on Amazon
- Diana’s blog post about receiving a suitcase full of her dad’s papers: The Suitcase: Getting Started One Paper at a Time.
- Diana’s blog post about accreditation – Becoming an Accredited Genealogy Professional – Diana Elder, AGⓇ
- ICAPGen Website
- Blog post about the first step in Research Like a Pro – What’s Your Question? (Genealogy Research Objectives)
- Nicole’s blog post about her first RLP project: Doing a Genealogy Research Project from Start to Finish
- Nancy Brown’s blog post: Am I Up to It? A Novice’s Questions About Joining a Research Study Group.
- Nicole’s blog post about her Keaton brick wall – Solving a Brick Wall with the Research Like a Pro Method
- Sherri’s experience with learning to research like a pro: My Research Like a Pro Study Group Experience.
Thanks for listening! We hope that you will share your thoughts about our podcast and help us out by doing the following:
- Leave a comment in the comment or question in the comment section below.
- Share the episode on Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest.
- Subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or your favorite podcast app.
- Leave an honest review on iTunes or Stitcher. We value your feedback and your ratings really help this podcast reach others.
- Sign up for our newsletter to receive notifications of new episodes.